Friday, December 25, 2009

Son of a 'beach'...

Pardon the profanity...actually just a hint of profanity! As the title suggests, my love for the beach far exceeds my affinity for any other holiday destination. To me all hill stations look the same...It’s just mountains all over with pine trees and if you are lucky the peaks are snow capped! Okay, maybe I am being uncharitable but this blog is about the sea...

I guess my love for the sea can be traced back to 2 distinct events...I was born into an house that overlooked the Arabian sea and right through my formative years the sea was an integral part of my ‘vision’. The second event I can pin point would be my exhaustive preparation of the book ‘Old Man and the Sea’. We were always told this was a sure shot question in the ICSE board exams. For a student with my interest and inclination towards academics, a ‘sure shot’ question meant I had to study less! I did read the book a few years after my 10th and enjoyed it a lot more. While the moot point in the book was the old man’s passion and struggle...I simply fell in love with the sea after reading the book.

I have friends who boast of doing 100 odd laps in the swimming pool. However, the real test of strength and guile is swimming in the sea. The choppy waves, the rocky bed and an undercurrent that can make you feel helpless. An ideal day begins with a run on the beach and ends with a dip in the sea (with a ‘high’ consumption of beer in between)

I have visited some of the finest beaches in the last few years...Mykonos (Greece), Koh Samui (Thailand) and Bentota (Sri Lanka). Yet there are so many more on my checklist. Once I retire, it would probably be a good idea to write a book – ‘The Worlds Greatest Beaches’. The only problem is that by the time I retire and with the imminent threat of global warming, the hill stations will become the new beach towns!

No comments: