Thursday, July 9, 2015

Saleswoman of the Year!

It is unfortunate, but since time immemorial airlines have always used their air hostesses as eye candy (except Air India...unless they have a strategy to specifically cater to the blind). However, there seems to be a new trend where the air hostesses are also doubling up as aggro sales force. Perils of multi tasking!

The low cost carriers have already reduced the PYTs to purveyors of stale sandwich and crappy coffee. The international flights run a scam of bundling cheap perfume with accessories you will never need. But, the experience at Etihad was indeed new...The air hostess insisted that we sign up for frequent flier program. I tried to reason that I was already a member of Jet Airways and all the points accumulated as a partner airline. Little did she know...I might be a Bong by birth, but when it comes to airline miles - I can be a cunning Jew!

By now her calm demeanour had given way as the sales target was looming heavy on her head...she refused to give up. Even went to the extent of explaining how Etihad had picked up a 24% stake in Jet Airways and even had 2 seats on the board. Thankfully, she stopped short of giving details of their hawala transaction and the dubious source of Naresh Goyal's funding. However, I refused to budge! A classic case of brute force against an immovable object...

I have always regarded wifey as one of the best sales people I have known. Her recent award was a testimony of my adulation . But, watch out Bani...you probably have serious competition!

No comments: