Monday, July 12, 2010

Journal of a Wanderer – Day 5


This was the first day of the extended break and we decided to stay back and explore the outskirts of Munich. We boarded a train to the border town of Garmisch and decided to go all the way up to the highest peak in Germany – Zugspitze. Unfortunately, the weather was really bad and I can’t write much about the view from the top as it was covered in a shroud of white cloud. However on the way back we stopped at Lake Eibsee. This has to be the most beautiful part of Germany...A heady cocktail of a beautiful lake, a forest skirting it and mountains in the backdrop.

We made it back to Garmisch with an hour to kill before the next train to Munich. Barely had we stepped out of the station that we were pulled up by the border police. What transpired for the next 45 minutes is enough fodder to write a book. In a nutshell - I was not carrying my passport; my pan card having a different spelling of my name added to the chaos and eventually the cops could not trace my ID. All the begging and pleading didn’t help and I was on the verge of being arrested. Finally, they agreed to call the hotel. I had to ask the manager to go to my room, open the safe and provide the cops with the information they required to realize I wasn’t an illegal immigrant. Phew! That was a close call...

No comments: