Friday, December 24, 2010

Day 4 - Jaisalmer


The drive to Jaisalmer has to be one of the best so far…The road was even, empty and straight…one could even drive blindfolded. Infact it was a case of - Desert to the left of me, Desert to the right of me and Desert in front of me! I guess the good monsoons this year ensured there was some vegetation even amidst the large quantities of sand.

We stopped at a dhaba in Pokhran for lunch. This town is famous for being the test site for India’s nuclear program. The way I stuffed myself – one more mouthful of the missi roti with ‘gatte’ ka sabzi would have surely triggered a nuclear reaction in my stomach.

We entered Jaisalmer just before sunset and saw the fort in all its glory…Its indeed magical the way the fading sunlight makes love to the yellow sandstone walls of the fort and radiates a golden glow. No wonder it’s also called the ‘Sonar Kela’.

This is supposed to be a ‘living’ fort. Inside the complex there are about 400 houses and 30 odd hotels. This also means every nook and cranny is a tourist trap. Reminds me of the Dal Lake in Srinagar where the fresh water lake is actually a civilization by itself.

Dinner was at a nice open air restaurant that overlooked the fort. We treated ourselves to some more Rajasthani specialities. This time we had the super tasty (calories laden) Dal Baati Churma…The steep walk back to the hotel in the fort definitely did my digestion a world of good!

Distance so far – 919

No comments: